My Life Storeys and Life Stories

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Episode II: Attack of the Virgins

Breath of Life

It was a fine Thursday morning. I woke up early to grab a taxi to work. Yeah, it sounds dumb - wake up early to catch a cab ... This fine morning, I was supposed to be having a phone interview with a potential employer between 8:00am and 9:00am. Now, waking up early to catch a cab sounds more logical - theres no way I can get a proper conversation talking in the train!


The Early Bird

Right, the early bird catches the worm! I reached office at 8:35am, really early by company standards. I used to hit work at 8:00am but circumstances altered my schedule. Firstly, I am always alone in office at 8:00am since official work hours begin at 8:30am. Secondly, almost nobody comes into office until 9:00am or later. Thirdly, if I reach work so early, I can be almost sure my wife will be late for work since she usually goes back to sleep a little after I had awoken her and left for work.


Once Upon a Time in Boston

My potential employer is based in Boston. Shes a nice Australian lady, and shes taking some time off her very busy schedule to speak t me. The head-hunter got his time wayward, and I got no calls until 9:30am. I was about to either try my luck at the jackpot in the gents, or pick up a hot coffee when my phone rang.

More than 30 minutes later, my mood lightened. Helen is one of the nicest person I could wish for a boss, but I can sense that shes not one who tolerates incompetence. In a way, I felt glad. Finally, challenges I can look forward to if I get the job. My last 6 years at my current company had been nothing but a breeze. While everybody is struggling to get their work done, I am more than always waiting for my next assignment. Weird thing is that I tend to be having more work than many of them - figure it out :)

The following day, I would have to pay a visit to the Singapore office and meet up with the local lads. Thats my second step to having more work to do. Helen likes me, and now I have to let the local lads scrutinise me.


The Local Lads

I took the morning off on Friday so that I could pay the folks a visit. Khim from HR welcomed me and brought me to meet Kien, who was covering the position I applied for while they were looking for the right person. Apparently, they had been searching for quite a while now. Kien was a fine person, and we had quite a conversation going. I really hoped he liked me too. Personally, if I was an employer looking for a potential employee, the most important thing was not his/her qualifications, but how much we could connect.

After the conversation, I grabbed a bite and hurried back to my old job. The following Monday was supposed to be the day when I get the news!


The Long Wait Goodbye

Monday passed, and I heard nothing from my potential employer. On Tuesday, like every interested and ethusiastic applicant, I called to remind them of my existence.

"I will call you back as soon as I get confirmation", Khim told me.

Wednesday was another quiet day. I had a few offers on hand, but this company seemed the most attractive. The sense of belonging was instinctively real compared to the other companies. Patience is a virtue, and I usually have loads of them, so I waited longingly.

It was Thursday afternoon before I got the call I longed for. There is one more person I had to meet on Friday before a decision can be made.

I styled my hair proper as I could on Friday morning before I set off to work. After much work, I managed to get the afternoon off so I could meet that final important person. As much as I expected jitters, I was calm as a meditating monk.

Alan was a fine man! We had a nice conversation going pretty quickly, although he did most of the talking. I am a better listener than a speaker, but you'd be surprised how much I can say if I have to :p

After the chat, I was made to wait 30 minutes before I was ushered into a grand looking room. The room belonged to the President of the company, Khim whispered to me. Yes, a magnificent room indeed!

Khim brought out stacks of documents and asked the important question. I asked for time to consider initially, but 30 minutes later, I decided to sign on the spot. Khim's sincerity and honesty touched me loads, and I got the feeling that everybody else here could be equally nice or better!


The XXX Letterxxx Show

My letter was ready for submission on Monday moning. I managed to find older virgin in office and handed her my resignation. Everything went fine, but it was sadly the peace before the storm.


Bam! Wham! Slam!

Within days, I was forced to clear my remaining leave en bloc. Perhaps its my own undoing that I handed over my work so swiftly to colleagues. But I have always been a fast worker, and I do not intend to change that!

Less older virgin was supposed to be helping with my clearance but she feigned ignorance. Older virgin is doing likewise. Before my last day, I approached older virgin to discuss the handing over, just in case theres something else she wants done, but she insisted to see me only on my last day.

On my last day, old virgin refused to sign my clearance form. She cited that I should have more files handed over to her. I had done my due diligence and archived all my files into our company's designated storage warehouse after every project closure. No physical files are in my possession. Soft versions of documents for my projects are safely archived in the Division's shared disk. Less older virgin was supposed to ensure that all these files are indeed in the storage facilities but again, she feigned ignorance.

I had to come back to office the next day upon HR's advice to get old virgin's supervisor to sign my clearance. He signed it after hearing my circumstances. Next, HR and I got less older virgin to counter sign on my clearance so that older virgin will not be able to create any further issues out of nothing.

I survived the first onslaught of the old virgins, but will there be more to come? I know more of my colleagues are going to follow my footsteps and leave the company. Then, would she focus on them instead of me? Stay tuned for Episode III: Revenge of the Cysts

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see things worked out for you fine.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:40:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home